benefits_form_imgHaving the right information and advice is essential when you are caring for someone. We can offer free and confidential information and advice in claiming disability benefits.

Caring can have a huge personal and financial impact. You may be struggling to cope with caring and juggling work or have had to give up work because of your caring responsibilities. You may simply be feeling overwhelmed by the complex benefits system and not know which way to turn. Working out what benefits you might be entitled to can feel like a battle, but we are here to help – money does matter when you are caring!

You may have mobility problems or need help with personal care such as bathing or dressing. We can check your benefit entitlement and provide specialist advice in supporting claims for disability benefits such as Carers Allowance, Attendance Allowance and Disability Living Allowance.

In 2014 – 2015 we recovered £484,770 in unclaimed benefits. Read what people have said about this service by clicking here.

Simply call us on 01207 549780 or email If we aren’t able to help, we will always try to signpost you to someone who can.

Carers Allowance is for people 16 and over and not in full time education who are giving regular and substantial care to a disabled people in their own homes. you are aged 16 or over and not in full time education you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a disabled person. Carers Allowance is a taxable benefit and forms part of your taxable income.
Attendance Allowance (AA) is a benefit for people with care needs who are 65 or over, and do not get Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP).
Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is a benefit for disabled people under 65. To get DLA, you must have personal care needs or difficulty with walking (also called mobility) because of either a physical or mental disability. DLA has two parts, the care component and the mobility component. DLA is gradually being replaced by Personal Independence Payment (PIP). From 10 June 2013, you cannot make a new claim for Disability Living Allowance unless you are under 16. Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit for people aged 16 to 64 with a long-term health condition or disability. Some people aged 65 or over can also get it. It has replaced Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for anyone who is not getting DLA and who wants to make a new claim. If you're already getting DLA, PIP is being introduced gradually over several years and will eventually replace DLA.
gateshead_advice_logoImproving Information and Advice services across Gateshead. We are one of the seven partner members of Gateshead Advice Partnership – Click here to view all Gateshead Advice Partners. This is a group of voluntary organisations working together to improve information and advice services across Gateshead. Through this extended partnership we are working with ‘Gateshead Advice Centre’ – we now have onsite a information point. Which is a free service giving you access to useful websites so you can find information you need online. Age Uk Gateshead – Click here to Age UK website. We are delivering an extending range of advice and information, so we can reach more carers with care needs over 50 years. Gateshead Advice link.
ageuk_gateshead_logo A simple and effective way for GPs and practice staff to signpost carers to approriate support services. The Carer Pathway Team can be contacted on Tel 0191 4900121 or by Fax on 0191 4900128 or or

Enquiry Form

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)


Your Message

Connect With Us

The Old School, Smailes Lane, Highfield, Rowlands Gill, NE39 2DB

Tel: 01207 549 780
Fax: 01207 549 794


Be Social: