What is a Carer’s assessment?

  • It’s a free and confidential assessment to identify how your caring role affects your life.
  • It helps the council understand your needs and suggest support options.
  • This might include respite care, financial assistance, or help with household tasks.

Who is eligible?

Anyone aged 18 or over who cares for someone (adult or child with a disability) can request an assessment.

What happens during the assessment?

A social worker will discuss your situation and ask questions about:

  • The person you care for
  • How caring affects your work, health, and well-being
  • What kind of support would be helpful for you

Benefits of a Carer’s assessment

  • Access to services and support to make your caring role easier
  • Information about benefits you may be entitled to
  • Connection with local carer support groups

How to get a Carer’s assessment

Contact Gateshead Council’s Adult Social Care direct:

Phone: 0191 433 7033

Address: Gateshead Council, Civic Centre, Regent Terrace, Gateshead, NE8 1HH

Website: www.gateshead.gov.uk

Additional resources

The assessment considers the needs of your entire family. You can also request a joint assessment with the person you care for.

Working and caring

If you work and care for someone, you may have rights to flexible work arrangements or time off for emergencies.

Taking care of yourself

Getting support as a carer can help you manage your responsibilities and maintain your own well-being.

How to request support

Simply complete our Care Service enquiry form and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.

Care Service enquiry form

Translate this page: